Escaping the Storm – South Bound Style!

[Entry from May 2009 trip] Our annual family trip for MAY 2009 wasn’t supposed to push through because a storm hit Manila so bad, it hit the North area even more. Ironically, we were supposed to be North bound for this post-summer trip. We already had plans to stay at a family friend’s beach house in Zambales. But the news that night confirmed the frantic situation in the whole province. 

There was no plan B. But we made one when the storm was really getting worse. And since the north area was a place that no one should set foot on at that time, we suddenly thought of going south bound instead. So we decided on a whim to try our luck going there, hoping that the storm wouldn’t follow us in that direction. As soon as the place Batangas popped into our destination suggestions, we just started calling up resorts in that area for a potential place to stay in. Since it was a last minute thing, and still a summer vacation month, almost all the resorts we contacted were booked. Mind you, it wasn't that easy to book 14 people just like that.


A BLESSING IN DISGUISE

My Kuya could not help but look at our sad faces, as hopes of a beach vacation were washed away along with the rain. And since Batangas was giving us bad responses as well, he finally decided to just leave it to God, and just hoped for the best. We left on a very gloomy morning, and got to Batangas around 10 am. And much to our luck, we found a place to stay in for the first two nights. And what was more of a blessing was the sun was shining brightly. It was when we set foot on Maryland Beach Resort that we thanked God for a safe and sunny trip.


Ok, so this was my first time in this part of Batangas. My family has been here twice already, back when I was still in college, and had no summer vacations to spend. Anyway, since this was our last option to ever experience a beach outing, we just had to take our minds off of the dirty premises. Yes, you read it right. The gray sand beach had pieces of garbage (usually plastic materials) everywhere, floating even. So most of our time was spent swimming in the resort pool. But we were just thankful that both the resorts (we stayed in Medina's Garden Villa on the latter part of our Nasugbu trip) that we stayed in had pools, as a lot of our goofy and happy times were spent hanging out by this area of the resort.


WHITE BEACH YO!

We did something different on our third day in Nasugbu, as we rode a pump boat to another island. My family called this the ‘White Beach’. Also, half of the area was private-owned. There were quite a few people hanging out on the other half. But the crowd was still tolerable in number. Plus, we had to rent a boat to get over to this place.


Now, this beach was beautiful. And it was a lot cleaner than the one we left back in Nasugbu. But my Kuya instantly noticed the rise in the water level. Global warming perhaps. He said that when they last visited this beach, there were rocks everywhere that were still quite visible. Well, the rocks were still there. But these have already been submerged under the water.

You’ll have to actually take careful steps to get to the other side of the beach; or choose to swim farther away to avoid the rocks. It was a beauty on this beach edge, but it was also tasking to get there. I probably had a few scratches and cuts on both my hands and feet after making my way to the rocks. But the water was crystal clear, so it was worth it going to this side of the beach. It was even more picture perfect since I had the whole family swimming around in the same area.

We probably stayed here for half the day (we swam and ate and swam again), until our boat ride back to Nasugbu came to pick us up. This island-hop to the white beach was the highlight of my stay in Nasugbu . But other than that, I enjoyed what Batangas as a whole, offered me and my family. I really enjoyed the beach vacation with them, despite experiencing the storm that almost ruined it.


And as always, I have a Travel Expense Sheet here that you might find interesting. But I just had to base it on estimates (for the 14 people who came with us on this vacation) since my cousin had a hard time recalling the exacts. I wasn’t part of the costing on this trip yet, so she just gave me what she could remember.

Anyway, hope it helps with one of your future trips in the area. Until then..

Explore & Be Free!
Mai

You Might Also Like

35 comments

  1. Batangas? Medyo hindi kasi malinaw yung water sa napuntahan namin before......kaya parang nadala kami :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad I stumbled upon your blog. Was actually looking for affordable yet nice resort somewhere in batangas for our family outing next week. thanks for this :) 

    ReplyDelete
  3. ILIKE the tips u gave.. its really help...
    namiss ko na yung mga ganitong outing....

    ReplyDelete
  4.  not bad even if the storm hit the country, being a wise-traveler and a planner, plan B and C are always there...

    you all looking having fun..but just somehow saddened on what your bro noticed in the area.. ;(

    ..but at least, you did enjoyed! teka, ganda nung pagkakuha ng pic ng bata.. ;)) galing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow the place looks really nice. actually gloomy weather is better for me than staying up in the sun. i hate the heat hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's always better to have options.
    if one doesn't work then another plan will take its place.
    GOOD for all of you to still enjoy the trip despite changes.
     

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish to travel a lot like you do. Nice post. Our family are currently planning to have an outing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, Nasugbu has the best beaches in Batangas, especially this resort names La Luz. Anyway, this is really helpful. The water there looks so clean and refreshing! 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Batangas. Batangas is really special for me and my husband. Sa Balai sa Laiya kasi sya nag propose ng marriage. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I were to choose, sa ibang part ng Batangas na lang ako pupunta, like Laiya siguro. Kasi so far, wala pa akong napupuntahan na ok na beach sa province na toh..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to help Jenny. You might want to try Laiya, Batangas? I heard na the beach is better there. As for me, I've yet to find out this May. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Axl! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Gagay! Which photo? Yung sa may beach? =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kaya pala ang puti mo Carizza! You must've loved the weather today noh? =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was a really good thing, Marri. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you! =) Where are you heading this summer? =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Joana! I've yet to try La Luz.. an orgmate of mine back in college owns the place. Also, I will be in Laiya this May, but will be staying at a different resort. Might check-out La Luz na din kung nearby lang. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awwwwww!!! Blissful moments! Kinilig naman ako for you, Ness. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is exciting! We are planning to visit Batangas on April. I'll keep this in mind should we decide to go to Nasugbu. I have heard of the White Beach before but we didn't go to the island because of huge waves.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cool! Try Laiya na din, Gene. =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been to Batangas a lot of times but never been to any resort there. Kasi naman, laging purnada kapag nagplanong mag-road trip to San Juan. Waaah!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nyaks, bakit naman po? =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another nostalgic post. We often drive down to Nasugbu in the summers --- especially when I was younger. Kamiss!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Naku Chan, there are better beaches na in Batangas. If you go home, try Laiya if di niyo pa naTry don. =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Bakit lage na lang kau ngpapasarap :( hehehhe .. kakainggit

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice trip!
    I've been to Batangas several times..
    but with really no luck at blogging it!
    Hoping that in my future travels I would,
    Batangas is really perfect for that family trip or a quick weekend getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  27. hehehe, sir di naman mashado! =) mag outing na din kayo soon! =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Francis! Mas perfect cguro sa mas malinis na beach.. kaya excited nako for our laiya trip this May. =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, I think if it were us, we'd cancel the trip na since my parents are not really adventurous.. >.< But I hope we get to have an impromptu trip too. We frequent Batangas but we haven't been to the "White Beach" yet.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ang kulit ng pics! I've been to batangas pero hindi ata kasing saya ninyo hahah

    ReplyDelete
  31. I grew up in Batangas. :) It's the most accessible  place I think for that fun family weekend getaway. And yes, it's sad that there are traces of trash along the beach in that area of Batangas. The best beaches in Batangas now is at Laiya in San Juan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think you should try Laiya na lang. I heard mas well-maintained yung place. Cleaner, and all.. I've yet to experience it though. =P

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hahahaha.. Ganon ba? Salamat sa compliment! =)

    ReplyDelete
  34. We're going to Laiya this May, so excited nako about trying the white sand beach! =)

    ReplyDelete

Top Categories